Sunday, August 12, 2018

Sapporo orchestra

On Friday, the Sapporo orchestra put on a concert in the Wassamu community centre. I went there early with some other staff from the BoE and helped set up the venue a bit. I have a bit of experience setting up events! I also got to use my tall tape up signs. My tall is pretty good here in Japan.

Here's the concert program. "Akira-san's Modern Concert".
The concert included classical music like Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, Schubert's Erlkönig, and a Chopin polonaise.
It also had some more modern music like the Disney Parade March, and a So-Do-Re-Mi medley, which contained a variety of songs with the motif so-do-re-mi (G-C-D-E) such as Habanera,
O Christmas Tree, the theme from Dragon Quest, and You Are My Sunshine.
For the encore, they played the theme from Space Battleship Yamato.

The most memorable performance was a combination of Mambo No. 5 and Beethoven's Fifth.
I found a video of a past performance on Youtube. That's the same conductor, Akira Miyagawa.
You wouldn't think the two songs would go together, but it kind of works!

I've tried doing some cooking. This is a pumpkin and cabbage soup with a miso broth.
It was pretty good I think, but I'm sure my dad knows some tricks that would have made it better.

1 comment: