Sunday, August 5, 2018

First day in Japan

The flight was pretty typical. I had no trouble leaving Canada. I was expecting to have my bags weighed or searched, but nothing happened at all.
I ran into a little trouble at the airport on my way out. One of the gates I passed didn't stamp my passport. Apparently their machine was broken so they couldn't issue residence cards, and a stamp is required to indicate that a residence card will be issued at a later date. Luckily the matter was sorted out soon after, but I was scared for a minute when they told me I couldn't proceed.

After the fact, I found out that residence cards are important as they show that you are in the country legally, and any police officer could ask to see them. The penalty for failure can be a fine of up to 200,000 yen and/or imprisonment for up to one year!

Japan is hot. High today was 35°C with high humidity. Stepping outside was like walking into a sauna. Luckily buildings are air conditioned.

Keio Plaza Hotel looks very nice.

Here's the view from my room, on the 33rd floor.

Some pictures of the streets of Tokyo:





My first meal in Japan, curry at Coco Ichibanya:
 

Coco Ichibanya, like everything else under the sun, is having a limited time crossover promotion with popular mobile game Monster Strike!

Also stopped by a convenience store. One item that caught my eye were individual boiled eggs.

Busy day tomorrow!

1 comment: