Thursday, August 9, 2018

Leaving Tokyo for Hokkaido

At 8 am, the Hokkaido jets got on the bus to Haneda Airport for a short 90 minute flight to New Chitose Airport. After that, we went our separate ways.

It was a strange feeling. Before leaving for Japan, I had gotten to know a number of JETs from Vancouver in the classes and orientation. Then, in Japan, I met a huge number of JETs from all over the world. Finally, I got to know a number of JETs who were assigned to the same prefecture as me, Hokkaido. And now we're all splitting up. Hokkaido is the biggest prefecture in Japan, so many of us will be quite far from each other, not to mention the JETs in other prefectures. Those who were assigned to bigger cities with more than one ALT are lucky in that respect.

After spending all that time meeting new people, I'm saying goodbye to them and will have to meet a whole new set of people, the ones I'll actually be working with.

At least there's still the Sapporo welcome party this Monday.

Here's us Hokkaido JETs at the airport.
 And while I'm at it, here's the Group B Vancouver JETs at the Consulate General's house the day before the flight to Tokyo.


After arriving at New Chitose, I met Tomomi Nakahara and Keisuke Miyoshi from the Wassamu Board of Education. We ate ramen for lunch.
 This huge restaurant is inside the airport.
 A candid photo of the three of us courtesy of a member of a neighboring BoE.

After that, it was a three hour drive to the small town of Wassamu.


1 comment: